Wednesday 11 January 2017

PCN Central Urban Loop Singapore

Started from AMK Ave 1 Blk331 through Bishan-AMK Park, I covered the following park connectors on this 28 km ride:

Central Urban Loop
(1) Kallang Park Connector (South)
(2) Pelton Park Connector (North-east)
(3) Balam Park Connector (North, then North-east)
(4) Hougang Avenue 3 Park Connector (North-west, then North)

North-east Riverine Loop
(5) Serangoon Park Connector (North, then West)
(6) Buangkok Park Connector (South-west, West)

Central Urban Loop again
(7) Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5 Park Connector (West)

Final leg: Non PCN
(8) Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8 to Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1 (End)

(1) Kallang Park Connector (Central Urban Loop)

A section of the park connector is closed for repairs to the Kallang River bank, had to detour to Bishan Street 13 and Street 11 Temporary PCN. Then turned left on Bradell Road, crossed foot-bridge 01.

Continued southwards along the Kallang River bank, went under very low head clearance under five lanes of the CTE!

Continued south until St Andrew's School across the river on the left and St Andrew's Junior College on the right before turning left (south-east) into Toa Payoh Road.
Crossed a long foot-bridge 02 spanning another five lanes of the PIE.

Journey time: 30 minutes

Then turned right (south) into Moonstone Lane. Crossed to the right side of the road upon reaching Opal Crescent on the left, entering a PCN path heading south-west.
Took a bridge across the Kallang River and continued a short distance south-east.

At Serangoon Road I looked for a pedestrian crossing or underpass but couldn't find any. (Next time, I may need to cross back to the eastern bank of the Kallang River to my left to find it), so I had to carry my folding bike across foot-bridge 03 over Serangoon Road.

Contined a short distance along the eastern bank of the Kallang River, then crossed foot-bridge 04 over Bendemeer Road into Geylang Bahru where I continued on the eastern bank of the Kallang River until Block 65 Geylang Bahru.

Then, I crossed Kallang Bahru Road and continued south until I arrived at the Pelton Canal in front of me. Crossed the bridge over Pelton Canal to continue my journey on Pelton Park Connector.

Journey time: 1 hr 12 min

(2) Pelton Park Connector

Headed north-east on the southern bank of Pelton Canal.
Crossed under Geylang Bahru Bridge of Upper Boon Keng Road.

Just before the Kallang Bahru flyover of PIE / Sims Way, I crossed the bridge over to the northern bank of Pelton Canal.
Then I went up on a long foot-bridge 05 across the PIE to the north, facing JTC Corporation Blocks 155 - 161.

Then turned right to continue on the Southern Bank of Pelton Canal again.
After that, I headed east, crossed Aljunied Road, to a bend northwards until the T-junction of Circuit Road, then crossed the traffic-lights to continue my journey on the Balam Park Connector.

(3) Balam Park Connector

The journey continued by heading north, north-east then east until I arrived at Paya Lebar Road where I turned left (north) and crossed over to the northern bank of Pelton Canal.

There, I crossed the traffic-lights to the north across Airport Road at the intersection of Paya Lebar - Macpherson - Airport Road into the Hougang Ave 3 Park Connector

I missed the short stretch of Paya Lebar Park Connector northward ahead of me on the east side of Paya Lebar Road at the CC11 Tai Seng MRT station.

Journey time: 1 hr 42 min

(4) Hougang Ave 3 Park Connector

This leg of the journey started in front of BreadTalk THQ, continuing easwards, crossing the traffic-lights junction at Tai Seng Ave, followed by a short distance of riding north-east before turning left (north-west) into Hougang Ave 3.

I continued to head north-west, crossed another traffic-lights under the Bartley Viaduct, then at the junction of Lorong Ah Soo, I crossed the road to the east side of Hougang Ave 3.

After going over a small bridge, I continued northwards on the west bank of the Serangoon River tributary, crossed Defu Lane 10 and headed north, and north-east
Then I crossed over to the north side of Tampines Road at a traffic intersection into Hougang Ave 7.

This brought me into the Serangoon Park Connector, which began my journey on the North-East Riverine Loop.

Journey time: 2 hr 43 min

(5) Serangoon Park Connector (North-East Riverine Loop)

Went along the western bank of the Serangoon River, heading north-east until I arrived at the confluence of Sungei Pinang and Sungei Serangoon.

Turned left at Block 477 to ride along the southern bank of Sungei Pinang, heading west. Due to some roadworks, I had to detour into Punggol Park and exit at Hougang Ave 10.

Crossed Hougang Ave 10, westwards into Buangkok Drive, and continued riding west along the southern bank of Sungei Pinang, passing by the Sengkang Fire Station.
Crossed the intersection at Hougang Ave 6 / Sengkang Central, followed by the intersection with Buangkok Green where I crossed over to the north side of Buangkok Green.

The Serangoon Park Connector ended there.

Journey time: 3 hr. Distance covered: 21 km

(6) Buangkok Park Connector

Went south-west along Buangkok Green, crossed the intersection at Hougang Ave 4 / Buangkok View, then westwards until Buangkok Lane / Hougang Street 93 intersection.

After crossing the intersection, I passed Block 980B all the way to Block 987C before crossing Yio Chu Kang Road to begin the next leg of the journey on the AMK Ave 5 Park Connector, which forms the northern arc of the Central Urban Loop.

(7) Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5 Park Connector (Central Urban Loop again)

Rode westwards along AMK Ave 5, crossed traffic lights under the AMK North Flyover of the Central Expressway. Then passed by ITE College Central followed by Nanyang Polytechnic.

At the intersection with AMK Ave 8, I left the Park Connector Network by crossing the intersection, turning into Ave 8 on my left.


(8) Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8 (non PCN)

After leaving the Park Connector Network, I headed south towards the Ang Mo Kio NS16 MRT Station, passing by Blocks 501 to 512 of Cheng San Crest neighbourhood along AMK Ave 8.

CAUTION:  Cycle cautiously on the road. Do not use the narrow pedestrian path.

At AMK NS16 MRT station, I dismounted and pushed my bike into a corridor leading to a bicycle park area.





Journey time : 3 hr 48 min.

After leaving the MRT station, I cross the traffic light intersection with AMK Ave 3, then took the new bicycle lane under the MRT tracks all the way home to Block 331 AMK Ave 1.










Total journey time : 4 hr
Total distance covered : 28.15 km













--- End of Central Urban Loop Ride ---

Walking the C2C Trail: from CP6 to CP7

Our second leg of walking the Coast-to-Coast Trail, from CP6 to CP7, took place on Sun 2019.09.22, a day after we completed our first l...